Sunday, July 03, 2005

False Image of State Religious Display


It is difficult enough for the average citizen to decide on the appropriateness of real attempts by government to place religious displays on public property. Today's New York Times Magazine cover carries this image to accompany Noah Feldman's article, A Church-State Solution. However, when you look for the source of the photo, Page 10 of the Magazine reads: "On the cover: Photomontages by Jason Fulford for the New York Times. Digital manipulation by Statik Digital." Translated, I think this means that the photo is not real and the "One God Only" sign has been digitally added. This surely does not help the public debate.

UPDATE: I should add that the article itself contains 3 additional digitally altered photos, albeit slightly less believable ones. One commenter suggests that the cover photo would be recognized as altered and seen as humorous by readers. I guess it is a comment on the extremes to which the issue of religious displays has moved that I am skeptical that the photos will be universally viewed in this way. Since the article's author urges seriously, and not humorously, that a solution to the current debate includes offering greater latitude for religious speech and symbols in public debate, I wonder if he thinks the photos are appropriate ones to accompany the article. However, I am willing to entertain the possiblity that on this one, my usual sense of humor has taken leave of me.