Thursday, May 31, 2007

Brownback Clarifies His Stance on Evolution

Republican presidential contender Sam Brownback writes an interesting op-ed in today's New York Times titled What I think About Evolution. The piece is an attempt to clarify the byte from the Republican candidate debates in which he was one of the candidates who indicated he did not believe in evolution. He says the choice is not between believing in evolution and accepting a literal interpretation of Genesis. He says faith and science should not be driven apart. Summarizing his position, he says: "If belief in evolution means simply assenting to microevolution, small changes over time within a species, I am happy to say, as I have in the past, that I believe it to be true. If, on the other hand, it means assenting to an exclusively materialistic, deterministic vision of the world that holds no place for a guiding intelligence, then I reject it."