Saturday, June 09, 2007

US President Meets Pope In Rome

The Associated Press today reports on President Bush’s stop in Italy after attending the G8 meetings in Germany. Asked at a news conference (full text) in Rome about his meeting with Pope Benedict XVI, here is part of what the President said:

I'll be glad to share some of the private conversation with His Holy Father. First, I'll give you an impression. I was talking to a very smart, loving man…. I was in awe, and it was a moving experience for me.

… He did express deep concern about the Christians inside Iraq, that he was concerned that the society that was evolving would not tolerate the Christian religion. And I assured him we're working hard to make sure that people lived up to the constitution, the modern constitution voted on by the people that would honor people from different walks of life and different attitudes.

… We talked about our attempts to help the people on Africa deal with HIV/AIDS and malaria and hunger. I reminded him that we made a significant commitment to that end…

And I talked to him about our attempts to feed the hungry, and I also reminded him that we've got poor people in our own neighborhood that need to be affected. He talked about immigration. He's watching the immigration debate very closely in America. And I told him I was a person who strongly supports comprehensive immigration reform; that, on the one hand, we'll enforce our law, on the other hand, we need to treat people with dignity. And we had a good discussion.…

Q The Pope has said Iraq was worrisome.

PRESIDENT BUSH: Yes, he's worrisome [sic] about the Christians inside Iraq being mistreated by the Muslim majority. He's deeply concerned about that, and we spent a lot -- spent a fair amount of time talking about it.

While in Rome, Bush also met at the U.S. Embassy with members of the Sant Egido Community, a lay Roman Catholic organization that operates an AIDS program in ten African countries. The program is partly funded by the U.S. Listening to the group’s concerns, Bush said that he would look into making it easier for faith based groups to access US aid funds directly, instead of through foreign governments.