Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Giuliani Refuses To Discuss His Religious Practices

Unlike some candidates who are willing to discuss their religious beliefs in detail, Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani refused yesterday to answer a questioner at an Iowa town meeting who asked if he was a "traditional, practicing Roman Catholic." The Washington Post reports that Giuliani responded: "My religious affiliation, my religious practices and the degree to which I am a good or not so good Catholic, I prefer to leave to the priests. That would be a much better way to discuss it. That's a personal discussion and they have a much better sense of how good a Catholic I am or how bad a Catholic I am." Giuliani favors abortion rights. Also, he has been married three times. One of his prior marriages was annulled, but the other ended in divorce-- which would prevent him from receiving communion in the Catholic Church.