Monday, January 07, 2008

Ohio Governor Interviewed On His Faith And Its Impact

Sunday's Cleveland Plain Dealer published an interview with Ohio Governor Ted Strickland, a former Methodist minister, about religious faith and its impact on his decisions as governor. Here is an excerpt:

[PD:] Has your faith changed over the years?

[Strickland:] My understanding of religious faith and of personal responsibility I think has matured. I used to feel like I had all of the answers.... I read the Bible and I pray and I listen to advice that I get from people of faith. But, no, I'm not as presumptuous as I used to be when it comes to thinking that I understand fully and completely the precise will of God....

I think there is a danger of having God conform to our image, rather than trying to conform to his. And I think that can lead to arrogance and self- righteousness and a sense of superiority that, from my point of view, is the antithesis of what true faith leads to.