Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Clinton-Obama Debate Includes Discussion of Anti-Semitism

The debate between Sens. Clinton and Obama in Cleveland last night (full transcript) for the first time focused on the issue of anti-Semitism (beginning here in the transcript). Moderator Tim Russert asked Sen. Obama whether he accepts the recently announced endorsement by Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan who once called Judaism a "gutter religion". In a lengthy exchange, Obama said: "I have been very clear in my denunciation of Minister Farrakhan's anti-Semitic comments." Obama pointed to strong support from the Jewish community and added that "what I want to do is rebuild what I consider to be a historic relationship between the African-American community and the Jewish community." Sen. Clinton responded that Obama should not just "denounce" Farrakhan's remarks, but should "reject" his support, citing a parallel situation in her 2000 campaign for the Senate. Obama responded: "There's no formal offer of help from Minister Farrakhan that would involve me rejecting it. But if the word 'reject' Senator Clinton feels is stronger than the word 'denounce,' then I'm happy to concede the point, and I would reject and denounce."