Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Obama Cites Sermon on Mount In Support of Civil Unions

Yesterday's Christian Post reports that Sen. Barack Obama created some consternation among evangelicals while campaigning in Ohio last Sunday. He cited Jesus' Sermon on the Mount to back his support for gay civil unions. Responding to a question from a local pastor, Obama said: "I believe in civil unions that allow a same-sex couple to visit each other in a hospital or transfer property to each other. I don't think it should be called marriage, but I think that it is a legal right that they should have that is recognized by the state. If people find that controversial, then I would just refer them to the Sermon on the Mount, which I think is, in my mind, for my faith, more central than an obscure passage in Romans." Commenting on Obama's position, Pastor John Barner, manager of pastoral care at Focus on the Family, said: "We believe isolated portions of Scripture should not be used to justify a personal preference or a social position that goes in a different direction than the overall message of Scripture."