Thursday, April 17, 2008

Religion Clause Blog-- 3 Years Old Today!


Today is the third birthday of Religion Clause. Since "blog years" are even longer than "dog years," Religion Clause has at least reached puberty, if not adulthood. "It takes a village" to sustain a blog. So I want to thank my loyal community of readers for your nourishment and encouragement.

Last year at this time, I invited readers to suggest changes they would like to see. The overwhelming response was that I should not make significant changes. So I continue with the original 3-part "formula"-- (1) a clear focus on church-state and religious freedom issues in the U.S. and abroad; (2) extensive links to primary source documents; and (3) a commitment to objective, non-ideological reporting.

I am pleased that Religion Clause readership continues on an upward trend. This month-- with the Pope's visit to the U.S. and the much-publicized FLDS raid-- readership has increased significantly. If you are one of the new visitors to Religion Clause, I invite you to stick with us on an ongoing basis.

This year, the number of "Comments" posted by readers on Religion Clause has also increased significantly. A small group of readers have sometimes engaged in lengthy debates. I have generally not exercised any editorial prerogative to screen these. I am interested in reactions from other readers as to whether you find these debates useful and interesting.

So thanks again, especially to those of you who read this blog regularly. A special note of appreciation goes to those who send me "leads" on developments. I always read them and often use them. I hope all my readers will recommend the blog to others who may be interested in its coverage. And please e-mail me any comments or suggestions you may have.