Thursday, May 22, 2008

High School Principal Resigns Over Equal Access Act Requirement

In Irmo, South Carolina, Irmo High School Principal Eddie Walker says he will resign effective at the end of the 2008-09 school year after the school district told him to allow the formation of a Gay-Straight Alliance chapter at the school. WIS-TV reports school district attorneys determined that under the federal Equal Access Act, either the club must be permitted or all non-curricular organizations would need to be banned. In a letter (full text) announcing his resignation, Walker said: "My decision to resign is a personal choice based on my professional beliefs and religious convictions. I have prayed about the decision for a period of time and I have a peace about it.... I bear no malice towards anyone involved. If the people involved at the district level had chosen not to allow the club to form I am sure the district would have been sued and ... in all likelihood ... would have lost."