Sunday, July 06, 2008

Bush, Fukuda Will Both Attend Olympics Opening Despite Human Rights Concerns

In a joint press conference today (full text) with Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda, President George W. Bush defended his decision to attend the opening ceremonies at the Beijing Olympics next month. As reported by CNN, Bush took the position in the face of decisions by some European leaders to boycott the opening ceremonies to protest human rights violations in China. At the press conference, Prime Minister Fukuda for the first time confirmed that he too would be attending the opening ceremonies. Here is a portion of the Q&A:

Q ... I was wondering if you could ... explain ... your decision to attend the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics next month. And more generally, I'm wondering what you would say to ... your friends and allies in the United States who are very concerned about religious freedom and human rights in China....

PRESIDENT BUSH: I view the Olympics as a opportunity for me to cheer on our athletes.... [E]very time I have visited with [the Chinese] ... I have talked about religious freedom and human rights. And so ... I don't need the Olympics to express my concerns. I've been doing so.... [N]ot going to the opening games would be ... an affront to the Chinese people, which may make it more difficult to ... speak frankly with the Chinese leadership.... I think it would be good for these athletes who have worked hard to see their President waving that flag....

... I have been very clear in my view that, for example, a whole society is one that honors religion, and that people shouldn't fear religious people.... China benefits from people being able to worship freely. It looks like there's some progress, at least in the talks with the Dalai Lama....

PRIME MINISTER FUKUDA: ... [H]ere for the first time, I will announce that I -- announce officially that I will attend the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics.... I don't think you really have to link Olympics to politics.... In the past ... the U.S. and others criticized Japan for certain behaviors.... So we really have to ... have humility in asking ourselves, do we have the right to make those points to China and others.... We are neighbors, after all, and it will good for Japan if our neighbors are in a sound state, as well. So with that in mind, as well, I shall attend the Opening Ceremony.