Monday, December 08, 2008

President Bush Gives Half-Hour Interview To Saudi TV Network

Yesterday, President Bush gave a 30-minute interview (full text) to Middle East Broadcasting Center reporter Nadia Bilbassy-Charters. MBC is a Saudi-run television network broadcasting from the UAE. Here an excerpt from the interview:
Q: Sir, some people say that the war on terror is a war on Islam.... Yet you went to the first mosque after 9/11 and you spoke there. How do you convince people in the Middle East that George Bush is not fighting a war against Islam?

THE PRESIDENT: ... [I]t troubles my soul, because I believe we're all God's children. And I hear people say, George Bush doesn't like Muslims; he wants to fight Muslims.... But I am objecting to anybody who murders innocent people to achieve their objectives. I don't think people who murder in the name of religion are truly religious people. And secondly, I would hope that people would know that when we try to use some of our influence to help on education programs ... or we welcome students, Saudi students, to the United States to study here, that it's a sign of respect and a sign of my desire to reach out to all people regardless of their religion.