Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New Australian Prime Minister Says She Will Not Pretend Religious Beliefs For Votes

In Australia last week, the governing Labor Party changed its leaders, naming Julia Gillard as Prime Minister-- the first woman to hold that post. (Huffington Post). Gillard is expected to call elections for as early as August. (news.com.au). The Australian today reports on a refreshing honesty by Gillard in responding to views about her religious beliefs. When asked during a radio interview how she would attract Christian voters and whether she believes in God, she responded:
I'm not a religious person. I was brought up in the Baptist Church but during my adult life I've, you know, found a different path. I'm of course a great respecter of religious beliefs, but they're not my beliefs. I am not going to pretend a faith I don't feel. And for people of faith the greatest compliment I could pay to them is to respect their genuinely held beliefs and not to engage in some pretence about mine. I think it's not the right thing....

For, you know, people of faith what I would say to them is I grew up in a Christian Church, a Christian background, a Baptist Church, I won prizes for catechism for being able to remember Bible verses. I am steeped in that tradition but I've made decisions in my adult life about my own views.... What I can say to Australians broadly of course is that I believe you can be a person of strong principle and values from a variety of perspectives. And I've outlined mine to you.