Monday, February 14, 2011

Boehner Believes Obama Is A Christian But "Not My Job To Tell the American People What To Think"

Republican House Speaker John Boehner was a guest on NBC's Meet the Press yesterday. (Full transcript.) His interview included an exchange regarding the perceptions of some Americans regarding President Barack Obama's religious beliefs. Host David Gregory played a tape of an Iowa focus group of voters during which one woman said she believes that Obama is a Muslim.  This exchange between Gregory and Boehner followed:
MR. GREGORY: As the speaker of the House, as a leader, do you not think it's your responsibility to stand up to that kind of ignorance?
SPEAKER BOEHNER: David, it's not my job to tell the American people what to think. Our job in Washington is to listen to the American people. Having said that, the state of Hawaii has said that he was born there. That's good enough for me. The president says he's a Christian. I accept him at his word.
MR. GREGORY: But isn't that a little bit fast and loose? I mean, you are the leader in Congress and you're not standing up to obvious facts and saying, "These are facts. If you don't believe that, it's nonsense."
SPEAKER BOEHNER: I just outlined the facts as I understand them. I believe that the president is a citizen. I believe the president is a Christian. I'll take him at his word. But, but...
MR. GREGORY: But that kind of ignorance about whether he's a Muslim doesn't concern you?
SPEAKER BOEHNER: Listen, the American people have the right to think what they want to think. I can't--it's not my job to tell them.
MR. GREGORY: Why isn't it your job to stand up and say, "No, the facts are these"? ...
SPEAKER BOEHNER: I, I, I just did.... 
MR. GREGORY: You shouldn't stand up to misinformation or stereotypes?
SPEAKER BOEHNER: ...but, but, but, but, but I've made clear what I believe the facts are.
MR. GREGORY: But is, is it, is it because it weakens the president politically, it seeks to delegitimize him that you sort of want to let it stay out there?
SPEAKER BOEHNER: No. What I'm trying to do is to do my job. Our job is to focus on spending. We're spending too much money here in Washington....