Friday, July 08, 2011

Dalai Lama Emphasizes Church-State Separation Explaining His New Role To Congress

On Wednesday, the Dalai Lama began a two week visit to the United States that includes 11-days of participation in Kalachakra initiations in Washington D.C. Phayul details his schedule. Yesterday the Dalai Lama met with a bipartisan group of Congressional leaders. According to CNN, he used the occasion to explain his recent decision to step down as the political head of his Tibetan government in exile, saying it reflected his belief in separation of church and state:
The religious institution, the leader of the religious, and the political leadership, should be separate. I myself combine! So my statement, my explanation, become like hypocrisy. Saying something, doing something different. Religious institutions, political institutions, must be separate - the last several decades I emphasized that.