Friday, July 29, 2011

Herman Cain Apologizes For Remarks About Mosque Construction

Herman Cain, candidate for the Republican nomination for president, met on Wednesday with four Muslim leaders at ADAMS Center in Sterling, Virginia, a mosque serving the Washington, DC area, and apologized for statements he made opposing construction of a mosque in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. (See prior posting.) According to today's The Tennessean, Cain issued a written statement after the meeting, saying:
While I stand by my opposition to the interference of Shariah law into the American legal system, I remain humble and contrite for any statements I have made that might have caused offense to Muslim Americans and their friends. I am truly sorry for comments that may have betrayed my commitment to the U.S. Constitution and the freedom of religion guaranteed by it. Muslims, like all Americans, have the right to practice their faith freely and peacefully