Monday, November 21, 2011

British Scouting Organization Considering Religion Neutral "Promise"

Britain's Guide Association-- a half-million member organization similar to the Girl Scouts-- is considering amending its "Promise" to eliminate religious references (or creating a separate non-religious alternative) after two families objected to the  current version that reads: "I promise that I will do my best, to love my God, to serve the Queen and my country, to help other people and to keep the Guide Law." Yesterday's London Telegraph reports that Guides who do not take the Promise are not eligible for some of the group's highest awards, such as the Baden-Powell Challenge Award and the Chief Guide's Challenge. The Guides in France and Netherlands have a version of the Promise that omits references to God. Britain's National Secular Society says that Britain's version discriminates against atheists.