Wednesday, October 09, 2013

British Scouts Adopt Alternative Promise For Nonbelievers Omitting Reference To God

NBC News reported yesterday that in Britain, the British Scouting Association will make available an alternative Scout Promise that omits reference to God or faith.  Beginning next January, it can be used by scouts who do not profess a religious faith. Instead of reading: "On my honor, I promise that I will do my best, to do my duty to God and to the Queen...", the alternative Promise reads: "I promise that I will do my best to uphold our Scout values...." It joins alternative versions that have been available for nearly 50 years for Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and non-UK citizens. The British Girl Guides have already totally dropped phrase "to love my God" from their promise recited by everyone.