Sunday, September 27, 2015
Iran Says It Will Sue Saudis Over Hajj Deaths
According to the Straits Times, Iran's Attorney-General Ibrahim Raeesi yesterday said that his country will file a lawsuit in international legal bodies against Saudi Arabia over the death of at least 769 people in a stampede during the Hajj pilgrimage last week. (See prior posting.) Some 130 of the dead were pilgrims from Iran, and another 340 Iranian nationals remain missing. Iran says Saudi authorities had inadequate safety measures at the symbolic stoning of the devil ritual. The Saudi's say the stampede was beyond human control.