Monday, September 15, 2008

Falklands Legislature Debates Religion Provisions In Draft Constitution

The Falkland Islands is in the process of debating and adopting a new Constitution. A special meeting of the Legislative Council was held on Sept. 12 to debate the draft document. A transcript of the debate published by the South Atlantic Remote Territories Media Association reveals extensive discussion on clauses relating to freedom of conscience and religious instruction of children in schools. After a lengthy debate by several other members over a hypothetical relating to child's right to refuse religious education offered in a Christian school, the Honourable John Birmingham interjected:
I can't be the only one that is slightly confused here. I would have brought a packed lunch if I had known we have a long way to go. I'm not even sure if we can define our present schools as being Christian schools. I just thought I'd throw that in.