Wednesday, April 14, 2010

ABC Talks With Russian President About Religious Faith

ABC News yesterday reported on an extensive interview of Russian President Dmitry Medvedev by reporter George Stephanopoulos. Part of the interview focused on Medvedev's religious faith. ABC says:
Medvedev is his own man in another significant way. Unlike many of his predecessors, this Russian leader has publicly declared his faith. He was baptized a Russian Orthodox Christian when he was 23 years old.

Asked why he embraced religion when he was raised in a secular nation, Medvedev replied that he "needed it." "Why do people go to church?" he said. "They come because they feel a need, except if they're sightseeing. So at 23 I felt I needed it. I believe it's good for me, because afterwards my life changed.

"You don't really talk aloud about something like that because the religious feelings should be somewhere deep inside of you. If someone is displaying it, it's not really honest. It's more PR for yourself. But I believe religion is important for every person."