Friday, February 26, 2016

Trump Speculates Audit of His Tax Returns Stems From Religious Discrimination

As reported by Politico, during last night's contentious CNN Republican presidential debate Donald Trump said that he has not released his tax returns because they are the subject of a routine IRS audit. Then in an interview with CNN's Chris Cuomo immediately following the debate, Trump said:
But the one problem I have is that I’m always audited by the IRS, which I think is very unfair. I don’t know, maybe because of religion, maybe because I’m doing something else, maybe because I’m doing this, although this is just recently.
Cuomo followed up asking Trump what he meant by religion, and Trump responded:
Well maybe because of the fact that I’m a strong Christian, and I feel strongly about it. And maybe there’s a bias.  You see what’s happened. I mean, you have many religious groups have been complaining about that. They’ve been complaining about it for a long time.