Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Obama, Romney Interviewed On Religious Faith In America

Washington D.C.'s National Cathedral yesterday released the August issue of its magazine Cathedral Age which contains an interview with President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney on religious faith in America.  The full interviews may be downloaded after registering at the Cathedral's website.  Among the more interesting exchanges was the following:
Some people have questioned the sincerity of your faith and your Christianity. How do you respond to those questions?
President Obama: I spoke about this a bit at the National Prayer Breakfast last year. You know, there’s not much I can do about it. I have a job to do as president, and that does not involve convincing folks that my faith in Jesus is legitimate and real. I do my best to live out my faith, and to stay in the Word, and to make my life look more like His. I’m not perfect. What I can do is just keep on following Him, and serve others—trying to make folks’ lives a little better using this humbling position that I hold.
Governor Romney: I am often asked about my faith and my beliefs about Jesus Christ. I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior of mankind. Every religion has its own unique doctrines and history. These should not be bases for criticism but rather a test of our tolerance. Religious tolerance would be a shallow principle indeed if it were reserved only for faiths with which we agree.
In response to another question, Gov. Romney said: "In recent years, the notion of the separation of church and state has been taken by some well beyond its original meaning. They seek to remove from the public domain any acknowledgment of God. Religion is seen as merely a private affair with no place in public life. The Founders proscribed the establishment of a state religion, but they did not countenance the elimination of religion from the public square...."